Air quality is a crucially important issue internationally, nationally and locally and we all need to play our part in improving the air that we breathe.
Wimbledon Town Centre is a busy, bustling town with a major A road (A219) running right through the middle. We have the best served transport hub in London with tram, train and tube and 10 bus routes that serve the town.
Love Wimbledon is working to
- Lobby TfL to roll out hybrid/electric buses
- Support Merton Council on their Air Quality Action Plan, specifically on anti-idling campaign messages
- Encourage businesses to employ local people, provide travel plans for their staff and review their freight and personal deliveries policies
- Reduce the number of waste contractors in the town
- Work with Sustainable Merton to regularly measure air quality black spots in Wimbledon
- Lobby for trees to be planted and for businesses to adopt trees outside their premises
BUSINESS SURVEY 2019, OVER 85% OF WIMBLEDON BUSINESSES SEE IMPROVED AIR QUALITY AS IMPORTANT FOR THE TOWN CENTRE
Adopt A Tree
Launched in May 2019, Love Wimbledon’s Adopt A Tree Programme whereby local businesses adopt and care for young trees planted in the town centre to ensure they survive and thrive. Big thanks so far to Pizza Express, Neptune and SoftwareONE for adopting trees and helping to keep Wimbledon green.