Businesses that have been required to close or adapt due to the national restrictions between 5 November – 2 December 2020, may be eligible for the new local economic support announced by the government. Eligible businesses may be entitled to a grant for each 28 day period under national restrictions.
This support is still available if your business has adapted to offer takeaways or ‘click and collect’ products, as your ‘substantive’ business is considered closed.
Grants will be based on the rateable value of the property as at 5 November 2020. The grant amounts for each 28 day period under national restrictions are as follows.
If your business is eligible and has a property with a rateable value of:
- £15,000 or less, you will receive a one-off cash grant of £1,334
- over £15,000 but less than £51,000, you will receive a one-off cash grant of £2,000
- £51,000 and above, you will receive a one-off cash grant of £3,000
Grant income is taxable. The Local Restrictions Support Grant will need to be included as income in the tax return of the business.
Your business may be eligible for a grant from Merton Council if it:
- occupies property in Merton on which it pays business rates, and
- was open and trading on 4 November 2020, and
- has been required to close* for at least 4 weeks because of the national lockdown
Before applying you will need to have the following documents available to upload to support your application:
- proof of identity of sole trader (e.g. passport, driving licence) or limited company (document confirming company name, registered address, company number)
- bank statement confirming name and address of account holder (this must be dated within the last 3 months)
- evidence of trading on 4 November 2020 (e.g. recent invoices for sales or services)
- evidence to confirm property was occupied (e.g. utility bills)
Find out more and apply here.
*Additional Restrictions Grant
An new discretionary grant scheme will be launched by Merton Council in mid December. This will have a short application window, and we don’t have details yet, so please do ensure you stay in touch through our website page, our Linkedin or through the Merton Council newsletter to be able to apply if you are eligible. We will also send a dedicated newsletter about this too when we have the full details.