Love Your Local Businesses
Current road closures on Merton Road towards South Wimbledon, expected to last until April 2020, have affected many of our independent shops, cafes and restaurants located in this area.
Love Wimbledon is urging other businesses in Wimbledon Town Centre to think of and make a special effort to encourage their staff to take a few extra steps, travel further along The Broadway and support our range of fantastic local and independent stores during this time.
Ideas for how you can support these businesses:
- Grab a coffee and a cake or brunch at Bliss Cafe
- Eat delicious Italian food at La Nonna or Chinese at Confucius
- Deck out your house from Neptune, Abbotswood Flooring or Mobalpa Kitchens
- Pick up your cold remedies from Chemco Pharmacy
- Get your clothes mended or altered at Quality Stitch
- Get ready to celebrate with fancy dress getup from Wimbledon Party Shop
- Enjoy a night out with friends at Tunnel 267, Wimbledon
- Work up a sweat at Better Leisure then relax in their beautiful spa facilities
Aside from the effects of these lengthy roadworks, there are a number of reasons why you as a business and consumer, should opt to shop local. As well as the huge cost to the environment when choosing to shop online, when you shop local your money stays local. In other words, your money goes into the pockets of your neighbours in the community and helps to strengthen the local economy.
Without the presence of these types of stores on our high streets, which often add a sense of character and diversity through their unique and artisan offering, there is the ever-growing fear that all UK high streets will eventually look and feel the same. With an increasing number of consumers choosing to shop online, small and independent businesses like these are becoming the real driving factor for footfall across UK retail destinations and providing a point of difference for our towns.
Wimbledon is home to a number of other small and independent businesses which you can also show your love to, including Fayre & Square, Fielders, Aubergine Art gallery, Health Zone, Phokas Barbers and Gina Conway’s Aveda salon. Don’t forget, the Love Wimbledon monthly markets return in March, with a great range of local vendors offering up handcrafted gifts and flavourful international street food.
So show your community spirit by supporting your fellow business community and urging your employees to do the same! #LoveLocal