This summer Transport for London are inviting everyone living, working in and visiting London to enjoy the benefits of cycling. Showcasing their plans for a world-leading cycle network and giving people of all ages and abilities the opportunity to get involved in the Summer of Cycleways.
During the summer when the sun is shining the number of people cycling in London increases significantly, whether exploring the city or commuting to work. This year, TfL want to capitalise on the good cycling conditions that summer offers and target activities towards people who aren’t currently cycling, with the hope it will encourage them to try cycling and consider it a sustainable mode of transport.
How can your business get involved?
Do you know there are 250+ CYCLE RACKS in Wimbledon Town Centre?
- Implement a cycle scheme or a Bike2Work scheme, Workplace Bikes
- Share information about cycling in Merton
- Enter a workplace challenge
- Offer a range of tax incentives
- Introduce a ‘green’ travel plan
- Make a fleet of ‘pool’ bikes available
- Support a workplace ‘Bicycle Users’ Group’ (BUG)
- Provide washing, changing and drying facilities
- Provide safe, secure and convenient cycle parking facilities
- Promote a bike day giving discounts or special offers to employees riding their bikes to work
All great ways to promote health and wellbeing, improving air quality and promoting green transport.
If you are organising a workplace initiative, or planning an event for Summer of Cycleways, please let us know so we can promote and share ideas with local businesses. TfL are also keen to hear about it and share to their followers across social channels including LinkedIn. Use #SummerofCycleways to get noticed.
Early June: Summer of Cycleways launch festival, Southwark Park
8 – 15 June: Bike Week
20 June: Clean Air Day
1 – 8 July: London Climate Action Week
3 & 4 August: Ride London (Love Wimbledon are hosting a Cheer Zone on Wimbledon Hill Road, Sunday 4th)
8 August: Cycle to Work Day
22 September: World Car Free Day (Summer of Cycleways concludes)
Find out more about TfL’s Summer of Cycleways:
Follow TfL’s as they share content around the Summer of Cycleways: