Love Wimbledon has signed up to the Women’s Night Safety Charter, and we are encouraging all evening economy businesses in Wimbledon Town Centre to adopt the same approach, to help make London a city where all women feel confident and welcome at night.
The Mayor of London has created a charter to tackle this issue, at the request of Londoners to the Night Czar to prioritise women’s safety, so that women feel safe when travelling, working or going out at night.
The charter is part of the Mayor’s Tackling Violence Against Women and Girls Strategy and London’s commitment to the UN Women Safe Cities and Safe Public Spaces global initiative.
Organisations that operate at night and support the charter, will sign-up to some simple pledges:
- Nominate a champion in the organisation who actively promotes women’s night safety
- Demonstrate to staff and customers that the organisation takes women’s safety at night seriously, for example through a communications campaign
- Remind customers and staff that London is safe, but tell them what to do if they experience harassment when working, going out or travelling
- Encourage reporting by victims and bystanders as part of your communications campaign
- Train staff to ensure that all women who report are believed
- Train staff to ensure that all reports are recorded and responded to
- Design your public spaces and work places to make them safer for women at night
Businesses can sign up for the charter here.